Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Why Believe?


But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…”
1 Peter 3:15


Anyone faced with the question of why they believe what they believe would probably agree that, no matter what that belief is, providing an answer is no small task! I have often come face-to-face with this question over the years, and it hasn't always been posed by others. This is a question that everyone must answer for themselves at one point or another. A blind faith in anything will result in more than a few bumps and bruises along the way, and a “Stumbler” like myself has all too often relied on superficial belief rather than deeply rooted, educated faith.

Because this is such a big question, I believe it deserves a big answer and I hope you’ll bear with me as I try to explore this question in-depth and give it the detail it deserves. Over the next few days I will be answering this question in a few ways:

3)      Jesus: Historicity 
6)      My Life

My hope is that you will consider these answers carefully for yourself. What do you believe in? Why? Are you willing to stake your life and eternity on your belief system?


2 comments:

  1. Hello. I saw this blog a few months back and have been interested in reading some of the thoughts and writing from someone who identifies themselves as a Christian. Most of the posts so far have dealt with your struggles and "stumbles" with what you should be doing, feeling, appreciating etc.

    The topic you are writing about now seems very interesting to me. I am an atheist now, however was raised with the Christian faith. I came to my conclusions after years of careful consideration, conversation, debate and thought experiments.

    I have no idea whether or not you want input from someone who is on other side of this fence. You seem like you genuinely want to explore the question of "why believe?" If so, hi.

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      First off, I want to thank you for your interest in the blog. I appreciate your readership and taking the time to comment!

      I welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing what you have to say about the upcoming posts. I always welcome respectful feedback and debate. I find it interesting how people can come to different conclusions when exploring the same topic.

      Talk to you soon!
      Malorie Petersen
      The Daily Stumbler

      Delete

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.